Lamphey Bishops Palace was the retreat of choice for those medieval bishops seeking solace from the everyday stresses of Church and State. The medieval bishops of St Davids were worldly men who enjoyed the privileges of wealth, power and status. Lamphey did not disappoint. A palace fit for a queen or at least the occasional bishop.
What we see today is mainly the work of the dynamic Henry de Gower, the Bishop of St Davids from 1328 to 1347. Thanks to his vision, elegant Lamphey became the away from it all place for high-ranking members of the clergy keen to play at being country gentleman.
Bishop Gowers great hall, 82
feet (25m) long is a particularly fine architectural achievement and its sheer grandeur would have impressed even the most privileged of bishops. Equally
well-preserved and detailed in their architecture are the western hall and inner gatehouse. Lampheys gilded existence came to an abrupt end during the reign
of King Henry VIII when many Church estates fell into the hands of the Crown.
News & Special Offers
Last admission 30 mins before closing.
1 Apr 09-31 Oct 09 daily 10am-5pm
At all other times this monument will be open but unstaffed between 10am-4pm
- Adults £3
- Reduced Rate £2.60
- Family Ticket £8.70 (admits 2 adults & all children under 16)
- Children under 5 FREE
Lamphey Statistics: 2 click throughs, 148 views since start of 2017